"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by Peter Cameron


Hum?

I have mixed feelings about this book. It is definitely not the lighthearted book that I expected. In fact it is really a fairly heavy book- not one that every teen would be interested in reading. The main character, James, has just completed high school and is quite anxious about college. He has isolated himself so much from other people that he is almost afraid of them. Due to an anxiety-ridden episode he is forced to go see Psychologist but it is really his grandmother who helps him the most. She is so loving and accepting.

Though the book is quite a bummer to read, it really is exquisitely written. The protagonist, James, is very concerned with the proper use of language and is very irritated, for example, with the psychologist because of her imprecise use of terms such as, "I see", and other such pat phrases. The author, Peter Cameron, is a master of the English language and I was very aware of his precise use of it in this book.

Will I recommend this book to teen readers? Yes and no. No, I will not recommend it to the student looking for a light read. Yes, I will mention it to students who are mature or who might be struggling themselves with depression or mood disorders. My hope is that every person has such a loving, non-judgmental person in their life as Grandma was in this story.

3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.