"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mock Printz 2011 Investigation


Last Fall I acquired a list of potential books that might win the Printz Award from a fellow librarian. Once I obtained it, a group of kids and I attempted to read all 10 books on the list in less than three months before we held a Mock Printz 2010 Workshop. We had so much fun that a second workshop is already in the plans. However, I want to get the books into kids hands earlier this year, hopefully as soon as they get back to school in September. With this goal in mind I have compiled a list of books that I want to read this summer in hopes that I can cull out some potential winners and have at least seven of the ten books ready to go day one. There are only two requirements for Printz books--- 2010 publishing date with an intended audience of young adults. I've read lots of reviews. I've asked other librarians for suggestions. And I've checked several sites on the Internet. Here is my potential Mock Printz 2011 list of books that I shall attempt to read this summer. (Red color indicates that I have finished the book; *means I am considering it for my list.)

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marcheta
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan*
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson*
The Last Summer of the Death Warriors by Francisco Stork*
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi*
The Prince of Mists by Carlos Ruiz Zafron
Smile by Raina Telgemeier (Graphic novel)
Trickster: Native American Tales by Matt Dembicki (Graphic Novel)
Nothing by Janne Teller*
Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Borderline by Alan Stratton
Bullet Point by Peter Abrahams
After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick
Numbers by Rachel Ward
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson*
As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth by Lynne Rae Perkins
Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick*
The Card Turner by Louis Sachar*

I would appreciate any and all help you can give me. If you read any of these books, please post a comment, or e-mail me your feedback. Or better yet, if you would like to take up the challenge along with me and read as many of these books as you can and give me your "Top 5" list, I'd be so grateful. It is obvious that I have my work cut out for me, so I'd best post this blog and get back to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.