"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Snowflake: Winter's Secret Beauty by Kenneth Libbrecht

It is snowing today which is a rare occurrence in the Pacific Northwest.  In honor of the white stuff I thought I would highlight a book I read last year called The Snowflake: Winter's Secret Beauty by Kenneth Libbrecht, with photography by Patricia Rasmussen.

The book is a nonfiction book all about snow and the various types of snowflakes.  I read the book with rapt attention while the author explained the techniques they used to capture the flakes in order to photograph them and the descriptions of the different types of snowflakes.  The best part of the book was the photographs.  They are amazing.  Take a look at the photos of snowflakes on the NewScientist webpage and you will get a taste for the types of photos that fill this book.

Now it is time to run so I can beat the freezing temperatures home!  Happy sledding!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this beautiful book view, Anne. I'm also a needleworker and wonder how on earth those women in Norway, Sweden and elsewhere all those centuries ago understood the actual shapes of snowflakes!!!
    Love your blog! Please come visit me sometime, too.

    Deb/Your BookishDame

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one in my elementary library and the kids like looking at the intricacy of snoflakes' designs as we read about Snowflake Bentley and do a unit on snow. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.