"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher


Incarceron -- a futuristic prison, sealed from view, where the descendants of the original prisoners live in a dark world torn by rivalry and savagery... A young prisoner, Finn, has haunting visions of an earlier life, and cannot believe he was born here and has always been here. In the outer world, Claudia, daughter of the Warden of Incarceron, is trapped in her own form of prison -- a futuristic world constructed beautifully to look like a past era, an imminent marriage she dreads. She knows nothing of Incarceron, except that it exists. But there comes a moment when Finn, inside Incarceron, and Claudia, outside, discover each other. -from Goodreads
Wow, where do authors come up with their imaginative ideas? Prisons that think. Society picking a time period to copy and then live in that lifestyle or protocol. People and animals partially made up of recycled parts. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher is a wonderful, exciting, and ingenious story.  I listened to it in the audiobook format and found myself transported to this magical land every time I jumped in my car for the past few weeks. Often I didn't want to get out of the car when I arrived at my destination.  The story had me in its grip.

Amazon.com selected Incarceron as a best book for February 2010.  Here is what they said: "The shifting landscapes, unexpected plot punches, and bold, brave characters found in Catherine Fisher's Incarceron are nothing short of thrilling: fans of Garth Nix and Suzanne Collins will take to this epic, twisty fantasy instantly, but it's also the kind of book that will draw in the most hesitant fantasy reader."  I sure have found this to be true in my library.  I can't keep the book on the shelf and students are clamoring to line up to get it next.  Kids appreciate good stories and this book is a wonderful tale that sets us up for its sequel, Sapphique, that was released in December.

2 comments:

  1. I've decided to make it my January mission to wherever possible visit my followers both old and new and say hello.

    I've heard lots of things about this book, all of them good. A favorite amongst my friends daughters I'm waiting for it to do the rounds before I get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this one from the library. Can't wait to get started on it!

    Kat @ A Journey in Reading

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.