"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, February 18, 2011

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart. -- from Goodreads
I am of two minds when it comes to this book, which I listened to on audiobooks. Perhaps some of my mixed feelings comes from the format more than the book itself.  Let me speak my mind and I'll explore that idea a bit more.

What I liked:
  • It is really obvious that Donnelly put her heart and soul into writing this book.  It is meticulously researched and the musical references are amazing.They made me want to download each song and listen to them while I read.
  • The information about the French Revolution was fascinating.  I admit that I knew next-to-nothing about this time period so almost everything was news to me.   I actually believed that Amade Malherbeau and the Green Man actually existed.  So I was completely faked out.  My bad.  I don't read enough Historical Fiction even though I really like the genre. I find learning new information to be
  • The conclusion was very satisfying.
  • I enjoyed Andi's sweet, evolving relationship with Virgil.
What I didn't like:
  • Present-day Andi's attitude and the way that the adults in her life are all so inept at offering her any kind of help or sympathy. In addition, her overuse of her anti-depressants was very distressing to me.  I couldn't help thinking that she should have ended up in the hospital for an overdose.  I don't think this is a message that teens should  hear---that it OK to take more than the prescribed amounts of drugs.
  • The audio format that I listened to really emphasized the whininess of Andi's "voice".  It got to the place where I could almost not stand to listen anymore and now I've decided that I need to take a break from angst-driven YA Lit for a while.
  • The book was very long.  The parts of the story that focused on angry, sad Andi were especially tedious.  The information on the French Revolution was fine. The length of the book was probably over-emphasized in my mind since it took me over three weeks to listen to it.
Even though I have emphasized the negative aspects of this book, I really did like it and I think it will stay with me for a long time. Some stories just don't work as well in audio format as others and I think this is one of those books. If I'd been reading the book rather than listening I would have sped read through the whiny sections and savored the others.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, the drug aspect was rather disturbing. I loved this book because it was so interesting and beautiful. It definitely isn't something to read when you need to be cheered up and it is overly long. I didn't realize for quite awhile that Mahlerbeau wasn't real.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.