"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hottest YA Titles in my library now

Hottest titles in GKHS library right now



Last week I published a list of the top circulating books in my library. I have multiple copies of many of the books on that list. This list represents circulations per book for the last ninety days. There is very little cross over between the two lists.


1.  Stolen by Lucy Christopher (15)*
     This book is amazing.  I highly recommend it.
2.  Library Wars. 1: Love and War by Kiiro Yumi (14)
3.  Library Wars. 2: Love and War by Kiiro Yumi (11)
     These two graphic novels are about book banning/censorship. Kids love them. 
4.  Why didn't I think of that? : 101 inventions that changed the world by hardly trying by Anthony Rubino, Jr. (11)
     This small, nonfiction book is surprisingly popular.  Kids come in asking for it.
5.  Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S.King (10)*
     A Printz Honor book this year.  Teen-angst.
6.  Blood Ninja by Nick Lake (9)
      If you are a high school librarian and you don't know about this book you are missing out on a very popular book for boys. The sequel Blood Ninja II is very popular also.
7.  Matched by Allyson Condie (9)
     I think the cover attracts readership. I need to look in to the sequel.
8.  Fallout by Ellen Hopkins (8)
     All of Ellen Hopkins books are very popular.  This is the latest.
9.  I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (8)
     The release of the movie caused a flurry of activity around this book.
10. Iron King by Julie Kagawa (8)
     The first in a three-book series.  Girls are very "into" this series right now, even girls that rarely come to the library.
11. Nightlight: a parody by the Harvard Lampoon (8)
      It is popular to not like Twilight right now.  This book feeds those thoughts since it is a very silly parody of Twilight.  It is also a very small, nonthreatening book.
12. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (8)*
      This is a difficult book to read but girls like it and are willing to struggle to complete it.
13. Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher (7)
     The Stonewall Award book of the year.
14. Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld (7)
     I have more students on hold for this book than any other.  I really should buy a second copy.
15. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (7)
     Hot, hot, hot author.
16. Fallen by Lauren Kate (7)
     Can't say much about this book, or the series but girls like it.
17. The Gift by James Patterson (7)
     James Patterson has hit upon a winning formula for young adults with his many series.
18. Jane by April Lindner (7)*
     I am so happy that girls are reading this book in hopes that it will lead them to Jane Eyre.
19. The Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan (7)
     The Ranger's Apprentice series is so-o-o popular with boys and a few girls.
20. Last Sacrifice by Rachelle Mead (7)
     Part of the still popular Vampire Academy series.
21. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan (7)*
     There is something very appealing about the way this book looks and its simple, short dictionary-type entries.  I am pleased that kids want to read it.
22. ++Delirium by Lauren Oliver
      I've had this book less than two months and it has already circulated five time.

Lest you think the popularity of the books are related to my recommendations, most of these books I haven't read.  I placed a * next to those I have read.  Also, I allow a three-week due date.  If students keep the books for the allotted period of time each book would only circulate a little over four times for this time period. Most of these books are coming in and going out the same day. All but two of the books on this list are currently checked-out.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the trends at your library! I've read four of the books on this list and loved them all, so it sounds like these are probably great choices! :D
    The Delusional Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great books!! Stolen and Vera Dietz both seem like books that would need a good sell from the librarian before they start really circulating. Looks like you're doing a fabulous job of selling them :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.