"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 25, 2011

It's Monday and I'm reading...

Book Journey
I'm reading-
Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher
I've been nibbling on this book for three weeks now. I finally have set aside some time for this award winning YA book.  I have just reached the half way point and it seems that the climax has passed.  I have no idea how the rest of the story will unfold.






I'm listening to-
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell
This audiobook contains 17 CDs.  That is over 20 hours of listening.  Gasp! Just saying that out-loud makes it sound very daunting.  I think I'll try to find the book in print also so I can alternate between reading and listening which will speed up the process of getting through this epic tale. This is for an upcoming book club.






I just finished-
The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag: a Flavia de Luce Mystery by Alan Bradley
My advice: don't try to read a mystery over a six-month period.  It makes it difficult to keep track of all the little clues along the way.  I listened to most of this on audiobook tethered to my computer and boy do like the reader, Jayne Entwistle, but I just took too long doing it.





What's up next-
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Actually I was nearly half finished with the 1950s classic before I had to return it to the library for a student who needed it for a class assignment.  I just picked up a copy at the public library so I will get back to it as soon as I finish Almost Perfect. Plath sure could write.  It is such a pity....






I've also made a decision to declare May as Read What You Want Month.  During the month of May I am not going to read anything that I think I "should" read or that I "must" read.  No-no.  I am only going to read what I want to read all month. Want to join me?

3 comments:

  1. I've had both print and audio going at the same time too, works great. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely I'll join you! I've just decided it's not going to be heavy on the classics this year - I'm just feeling in a light reading mood and that's what I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good reading week, Anne! I have been meaning to read the Flavia books for ages and haven't gotten around to it yet. And I have never read Sylvia Plath - can you believe it?

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.