"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, April 4, 2011

It's Monday. Here's what I'm reading...

Sheila at Book Journey
I'm on my Bookish Spring Break Staycation right now.  I have lots of books that I am reading and previewing, so many, in fact, that I am beginning to feel a little overwhelmed.


What I'm currently reading:
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Wow.  No wonder this book is on many lists as one of the top ten books every written.  I am completely captivated by the prose but the story is so-o-o depressing.

In addition to this book I am previewing three other books for a class project I am introducing on the Monday after Spring Break.  My goal is to read at least 50 pages of each of these before then.


What I am listening to on audiobooks:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
This book is a hoot and I an hardly wait to finish it and write my review.  Don't panic, I'm almost done.







What I just finished reading:
Dewey: the Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
I finally bore down and finished this book after several fits and starts over the years.  It really is a darling story but perhaps better suited to a magazine article. The cat on the cover is actually Dewey.  Wasn't he cute?





What I plan to read next:
Lottery by Patricia Wood
This is the book club selection for April.  It sounds delightful and I'm pretty excited to get started.  Here is the summary from Goodreads: "Perry L. Crandall knows what it's like to be an outsider. With an IQ of 76, he's an easy mark. Before his grandmother died, she armed Perry well with what he'd need to know: the importance of words and writing things down, and how to play the lottery. Most important, she taught him whom to trust—a crucial lesson for Perry when he wins the multimillion-dollar jackpot."



3 comments:

  1. I read Lottery last fall and it will make a great discussion book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the books in the Hitchhiker series are wonderful! Glad you're enjoying it!

    Here's my Monday: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your recent comments. I see you are reading two classics here. Beloved is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.