"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Top Ten Authors I Would Love to Meet

Hosted at Broke and Bookish
Top Ten Authors I Would Love to Meet (Dead or Alive)

1. Jane Austen---This seems like an obvious choice.  I love all of her books and would thoroughly enjoy a chance to meet my favorite author.

2. The Apostle Paul---The author of a good deal of the New Testament.  I'd just like to be around him and soak up some of his faith and enthusiasm for the gospel.

3. J.K. Rowling---I love the Harry Potter books. I'd love to sit and have tea with Ms. Rowlings and talk about where she came up with the storyline and all the fabulous characters in her books.

4.  Beatrix Potter---I adore her small children's books and drawings. I'd love to take a walk and chat with the creator of Peter Rabbit, Misses Tiggywinkle, Benjamin Bunny and the rest.

5. C.S. Lewis---I am not only a Narnia fan (before there was Harry Potter there was Narnia!) but I also admire his writings on faith and Christianity (Mere Christianity, The Screw-tape Letters, The Great Divorce, etc.)

6. Mark Twain---The Great American Author! I would love to visit with this funny and famous American.

7. Dr. Seuss (Theodor Giesel)---I cut my teeth on Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat.  I think I'd most like to be a fly on the wall of his studio when he was illustrating one of his books.

8. Madeline L'Engle---She wrote A Wrinkle in Time which was my favorite book for many years as a kid.

9. Barbara Kingsolver---One of the few living authors on my list, Ms. Kingsolver writes with so much conviction and heart about hard issues (Native American rights, Immigration, Environmental Issues, Colonialism of Africa, etc.)

10. Harper Lee---the author of To Kill a Mockingbird, Ms. Lee has granted very few interviews over the years. I'd love to just be in her presence for a time and soak up some of her wisdom.

11. Dietrich Bonhoeffer---a Lutheran pastor who was killed for opposing the Nazis. His writings are very inspirational.

12. Bill Bryson---I know he ends up on just about all my lists.  I think Bryson is so funny and so brilliant.  It seems like he'd be a kick to meet and spend time with.

13. E.B.White---Who doesn't love E.B. White's classic children's tale: Charlotte's Web? But this author also co-wrote a very important book for writers: The Elements of Style.

Miss Moppet, a family favorite character, by Beatrix Potter
An illustration from Charlotte's Web by E.B. White














19 comments:

  1. Great list! I've got C. S. Lewis and Jane Austen too! (I think everybody wants to visit Miss Austen...)

    Here's the rest of my list: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-tuesday-authors-id-die-to-meet.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE your list (it is very similar to mine, haha). I didn't even think about Paul, but you're right, he was a very interesting person. And I love Dr. Seuss! How the Grinch Stole Christmas is one of my all-time favorite Christmas books. And I loved E. B. White's books as a child, but when I (very recently) discovered that he was the White listed in Strunk & White I had to love him even more.

    Excellent list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list, Anne! I may have to find time to participate today - this is a fun topic.

    You and I share so many favorites! I would love to meet the authors on your list, too. A Wrinkle in Time was also my childhood favorite, along with the rest of the series.

    You mentioned Beatrix Potter. Have you seen the movie Miss Potter? It's about her - lots of fun and gives some insight into her.

    Hmmm...I'll have to think about my list now...

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. We share Barbara Kingsolver and JK Rowling and I almost put Bill Bryson, but ran out of room! Great list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane Austen, JK Rowling, and Dr. Seuss all made my list too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark Twain and Rowling made my list as well. Austen seems to be the most popular!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thanks for stopping by! I'm now following you back. I'm sorry I didn't think of Madeleine d'Engle, and, yes, it seems like Jane Austen has a trend today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the Apostle Paul! Wouldn't that be a fascinating conversation!

    Here's my Top Twenty-Seven Authors I'd Love to Meet (Sorry, I Couldn't Stop at Ten). I hope you will stop by. Also, don't forget to enter my July Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot Beatrix Potter! Sigh, there's just too many authors and not enough numbers between one and ten. You have an eclectic list here. I like it a lot. I also listed Mark Twain.

    Here’s My Top Ten Tuesday This Week

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Seuss would be quite interesting to converse with.

    Fab list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! So many fantastic authors. I didn't even think of Beatrix Potter, but she'd probably be a lot of fun to meet. And Lee, Bonhoeffer, Twain, Geisel, Kingsolver... yipes. There are just so many.

    P.S. Love that Austen quiz, which I see in your sidebar. I test out as Anne Elliot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I've got Jane Austen too but for different reasons. Maybe one day I'll love her as much as it seems everyone else does. Completely forgot about Harper Lee though. Perhaps I should have followed your lead and extended my list past 10!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome variety. I would love to meet Kingsolver and I hadn't thought of Dr. Suess, but I would definitely be on board with that.

    Come visit me at The Scarlet Letter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot all about Bryson! He's one of my favorite authors! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Apostle Paul - that's a fabulous choice. What a meeting that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How could I forget C.S Lewis?! Sigh. Paul's a good one too. That would be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your the second person I've seen to include Paul. What a great idea! I would love to have a chat with Paul! Also, I'm committing right here and now to give Bill Bryson a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kingsolver is a great writer. I had to read The Poisonwood Bible in high school, and I still have bits of that story floating around in my head (almost 10 years later). Some great opening lines.

    I haven't read any Beatrix Potter in quite awhile, but I remember with fondness her stories; particularly the illustrations. So sweet and soft and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Harper Lee! that's a good one. It'd be such an honor to talk to her I think.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.