"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, September 12, 2011

Top Ten Books I Read Because of Another Blogger

The Broke and Bookish

Today's topic: Books I read because of the recommendation from another blogger. This seems like a perfect topic this Blogger Appreciation Week. 

1. The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells---Sue Jackson at Book by Book recommended this is audio format and I really enjoyed it. (I just finished it last night, so it is freshest in my mind.)

2. Boom! by Mark Haddon---also recommended by Sue Jackson. My family listened to this audiobook together.  It is very fun and funny.

3. Swim the Fly by Don Calame--- a hilarious, coming-of-age, boy book.  I can't remember which blogger shared about this book, but thank you!

4. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys---historical fiction at it's best. 

5. Blink and Caution by Tim Wynne-Jones was recommended by Annette at Annette's Book Spot.  She said it was one of her favorite books of the year and it was definitely one of my favorite summer reads.

6. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson---many, many bloggers wrote about this book this summer.  So many that I just had to read the book!  I loved it!

7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins---another books that "everyone" on the blogosphere seemed to be talking about this book.

8. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Levithan and Cohn---the blogosphere lit up about this book right before it hit the bookstores.  I have read other books by both authors, so I'm sure I would have gotten around to reading it "some day" but the amount of attention it got increased the urgency to read it.

9.  The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot---an amazing look at the woman and her immortal cells, named HELA. These cells have saved countless lives.  Fascinating book!.  Thanks to all the bloggers who raised my awareness of the book.

*10.  The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (Audiobook)---Sheila at Book Journey raved about the audio version of this book a few weeks back.  I immediately placed a hold on it, in this format, at the public library. I am always on the hunt for good audiobooks. (*I haven't received it yet.)


(10:15 PM: I know there are others but right now I feel brain dead.  I'll update this list tomorrow!
Update complete: 3:44 PM, 9/13/11)


8 comments:

  1. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour is one I read becasue of a great review I read at Daisy Chain Book Review, and Anna and the French Kiss I read because everyone was singing its praises I just couldn't resist. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna and the French Kiss is a book I found here in the blogosphere. I wish I kept better track of who recommended what to me.

    Here's my list, Top Ten Books I Read Because of Another Reader. I'd also invite you to sign up for the contest to win a $25 Amazon giftcard this month at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I love about book blogging - all the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great the number of books we find on other blogs that we might not read otherwise.

    Here's mine: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-tuesdays-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, two mentions on your blog in one week! I feel honored!

    This is a topic I could really have fun with but just no time for a Top Ten list today - my mom is coming into town the afternoon.

    Thanks again for the mention!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna and the French Kiss made my list too. I love that book! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to get to Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Between Shades of Gray sounds like it would be difficult for me to read, but it's an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.