"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday, Oct. 17, 2011...I'm reading

Hosted by Sheila at Book Journey

I'm reading:
  • Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King---a young teenager has been bullied for seven years by another classmate, Nolan. He escapes from his daily life by daydreaming about his grandfather who is a POW/MIA Vietnam Vet. Or is he daydreaming? And why are these little ants always talking to him?
I'm listening to:
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey---if you didn't know who about this comedian before, I'm sure you do now after the 2008 Presidential Campaign when she burst on the scene doing a parody of Sarah Palin on SNL. Now the you will recognize her due to her TV show, Thirty Rock.  This book is very funny. Tina Fey reads it herself.
  • Entwined by Heather Dixon---a retelling of the Grimms' fairy tale, Twelve Dancing Princesses. I find myself thinking of the story when I am not listening and I look forward to getting back in my car so I can continue the tale.
I recently finished:
  • The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente.  Don't you just love the title?  Check out my review.
  • Now is the Time for Running by Michael Williams. A touching story about a refugee boy in South Africa who finds redemption in soccer. This book is both depressing and hopeful. Review coming soon.
  • Paper Covers Rock by Jenny Hubbard---Alex finds both his writing and his poetic voice after the death of a friend, Thomas. This is a beautifully told coming-of-age story. Check out my review.
What's up next?
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth---For some reason I keep putting this off. I will start this book this week!

2 comments:

  1. I have Entwined on my TBA list...I really love retellings of myths/fairy tales, etc. I never seem to find them, though!

    literarylindsey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Divergent and Entwined! Hope you enjoy them!

    http://www.deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.