"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 17, 2011

Top Ten Titles and Covers

Book titles and covers that "made" me buy/pick up the book. (That doesn't mean I have necessarily read them, though.)
Top Ten Tuesday is Hosted by the gals over at The Broke and Bookish


The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
Who doesn't want to read a book that has the word circumnavigated in the title?

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
I feel like this quite often.  Don't you?

How Not to be Popular by Jennifer Zeigler
I think both the title and the cover are funny.

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D.C. Pierson
When I received this book in the mail I actually thought someone had scribbled on the cover before sending it to me.

You're Only Old Once: a Book for Obsolete Children by Dr. Seuss
A lot of Dr. Seuss books could be on this list. This title struck me as funny when I purchased it a few years back.

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
This is the only book on the list that I actually purchased because of the cover. It's lovely.

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo
I had to buy this book.  How could Jane Austen wreck anything?

Dogzilla by Dav Pilkey
Actually my sister was the one who bought this book.  But isn't the title compelling?

Withering Tights by Louise Rennison
One of my students checked this out because she is such a huge Wuthering Heights fan. Ha!

Unexpectedly Eighty by Judith Viorst
I found this book during the Borders end days (sigh) and gave it to my dad who is eighty. He and my mom love it.

9 comments:

  1. Halo is one of my favorite covers EVER.

    And I love the word "circumnavigated" as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Withering Tights is a great title...must read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Dr Seuss books! He always has such fun and inventive covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Jane Austen title and the Withering Tights (a great play on a classic will always get my attention)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also chose The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I love that title! It's awesome!

    I also love Dr. Seuss books. His artwork is so much fun. My favorite is Fox in Socks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Jane Austen one! I'll have to pick it up sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, how could Austen ruin anything? Now I want to read this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dogzilla! My brother and I loved that book when we were little, and Kat Kong too. I actually nicknamed my very big black cat Kong because he looks so much like that cat on the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Boy Who looks fun. Halo really is pretty.

    Top 10 http://t.co/RhV51NuE

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.