"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth



I predict that Divergent by Veronica Roth will be the next dystopian novel to draw the attention and devotion of teens. There. I said it.

Synopsis:
When Beatrice (Tris) Pryor turns sixteen she has to decide which faction to choose: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, or Erudite. Her choice will determine where she lives and by which virtues her life will be guided. A test will help with the decision but Tris doesn't have to follow the results, which is good since her test is inconclusive. However once she does decide her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of the group, and it also threatens to expose a personal secret that places her in extreme danger and threatens to dismantle the whole society. "Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances." (Goodreads)

Review:
While Twilight spawned a whole genre of paranormal romances, Hunger Games has ushered in a resurgence of the dystopian novel. Divergent is one of those dystopian spin-offs.  Is it a good story?  Yes. Is it a completely new and unique tale? No. Divergent reminded me a lot of both the Hunger Games trilogy (Collins) and The Uglies series (Westerfeld). Did I like it? Yes. I liked the story quite a bit and found it to be quite exciting and frustrating in turns.  I always think that dystopian novels are frustrating.  So that is a good sign that Roth was on to something in this story which is set in a futuristic Chicago. Will I recommend this book to my students? You bet I will.  In fact, I recommended this book on the strength of it's plot long before I had a chance to read it. All the kids who have talked to me about it really like the book and are eager for the sequel. Come to think of it, so am I.

2 comments:

  1. Love Divergent and can't wait for the sequel. Your prediction is correct!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one in my school library so will definitely put it on my to read list, thank you for an encouraging review!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.