"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: Cloaked by Alex Flinn


My family and I listened to the audiobook of Cloaked by Alex Flinn on a recent holiday car trip and it was a joy to share the experience together. My husband was a bit skeptical that he wouldn't like the book since it a YA book and a fairy tale to boot. But the story sucked us all in and soon we were all laughing together and guessing what would happen next as we merrily drove along. In fact, at one point in the trip I was in another car, so my husband and daughters listened without me. When I rejoined them everyone was very excited to tell me what I had missed.

Alex Flinn, the author of the very popular book Beastly, said that he wanted to create a story using more obscure fairy tales, ones that didn't have a movie about them. Cloaked is set in modern times but it is also a mash-up of over five fairy tales, many I'd never even heard of before.  What fun!  It did make for zany scenes and magical events.  But that just increased the charm of this very family-friendly book.  I think this book will appeal to preteens through adults.

Check out the trailer and I think you'll get the idea of what a fun, different book Cloaked is:



2 comments:

  1. Well, this looks like one crazy book. I think I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the whole family enjoyed this one. I'll have to add this one to my wish list. It's new to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.