"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater


Dear Maggie Stiefvater,

I am in love with you. Well, more precisely, in love with your writing...and your art...and your music.

Your Wolves of Mercy Falls series made it obvious that you were someone special. Paranormal romances admittedly are not my thing, yet I was completely captivated by Shiver, Linger, and Forever. These books are heavily promoted by this librarian and you have many fans. However, and unfortunately, reading your wolf books didn't send me to the Web to learn more about you. Otherwise I would have fallen in love even sooner.

Then your book The Scorpio Races was named a 2012 Printz Honor and an Odyssey Award Honor book (for fabulous audiobooks) and I took notice. You see, I am a Printz book nut, attempting to read all contenders and predicting which will win. If reading time runs short, I try to read all the winners as soon as possible after they are announced. But if I am nuts for Printz books, then I'm completely bananas for good audiobooks. I usually listen to the Odyssey YA selections because their renown is for excellent production. The audio version of Scorpio Races had me completely enthralled in the reading by Fiona Hardingham and Steve West. These voice actors did an absolutely perfect job reading the parts of Puck (Kate) and Sean. Thank them for me for their part in making Scorpio Races a magical experience!

And speaking of magical experiences, I cannot gush enough about the way that you wove together the Irish/Scottish myth of the magical water horses, capaill uisce; the excitement of the race; the tension of family/working relationships; and the budding, sweet romance. While listening to the story I was transported to the island of Thisby -- surveying the windswept landscape, the cliffs overlooking the sea, and the deadly but magnificent horses. Your character development was so full and rich that I could imagine life as Puck, Sean, and even young Finn.

By this time I was already developing a serious crush on you, but what tipped me over to full love was the animated trailer for the book. I was stunned. You not only created the art work for the video, but also wrote and performed the music. I have watched the trailer many times and enjoy it more each time. It's fun to think about you and your sister in the recording studio pounding on all kinds of surfaces to make the drumming beat. And what kind of flute is that carrying the haunting Celtic melody? Ah, your talents seem limitless.

Finally I hope that this letter, profuse with praise, will cause readers to choose The Scorpio Races. A link to your page is here (Maggie Stiefvater) so they can read more about this wonderful book. Thanks for writing it!

All my love,

Anne


3 comments:

  1. I am hearing such great things about this book, I've got to add it to my "must read" TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie tweeted your review so I had to come read it. I haven't read Scorpio yet, though it's sitting on my shelf (and I have numerous friends harassing me to do so), but I know it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't get around to reading it over spring break, I will have to this summer.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.