"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, March 5, 2012

Book covers I really like

The Broke and Bookish
Book covers I really like...

1. The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson
This looks 3-D to me, not the typical 2-D cover.  Very creative.
 


2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
This unique cover sets the book apart.

3. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
The red and black colors, the heart shape, and the dictionary words written within all create a pleasing composition.


4. Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan
The book is just as creative as the cover, or more so.


5.  Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
The cover makes me laugh as does the book.


6. Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Juxtaposition.


7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Almost touching, but not quite. The cover sets the reader up for what is to come.


8. Deadline by Chris Crutcher
The cover looks like it is upside-down.  That is the point.


9. Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini
Words to attract readers: Girls Panities; WEIRD; Pimpin'; Stinky.


10. We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball by Kadir Nelson
Kadir Nelson is an artist who wrote a book. The art work is fabulous.


11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
This is my favorite of the many editions of OFOTCN.

 
12. Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway
Notice how Benway's name is hiding in the vortex? 



13 comments:

  1. Love the Beauty Queens cover. It fit that book oh so well. The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep is also a really cool cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very unique and eye-catching covers on your list- great choices! I particularly like 1, 3, 4, 11. I pretty much adore every Shaun Tan book cover.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I wanted to put all of Shau Tan's covers on here and decided to just choose one.

      Delete
  3. I think we should have a topic where we select the worst covers and why. That would be funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I can think of several candidates off the top of my head, too.

      Delete
    2. Me, too. I think that Dairy Queen by Murdock would definitely make my list... a cow with a crown. Bah.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen anyone who knew The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep And Never Had To!! Well, you're the first, for me. I saw it in the bookstore this one time and wanted to buy it just for the cover. I didn't though. *regrets* I also LOVE the covers for Beauty Queens, Anna and the French Kiss, and The Lover's Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Beauty Queens cover is fabulous!! And I'm always delighted by the cover for The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just love the word art that seems to be present in all of your titles, Anne! Sometimes that kind of cover can draw the eye more than a "pretty girl" or "a couple" depicting the main characters. :) I love that you included The Lover's Dictionary since it's cover was what originally drew me to it. Thanks for sharing and for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I like the cover of The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading Foer right now and I do love the cover design. The detail is great, and I like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! I had not seen a lot of these! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picks. I love the cover of he Boy Who Couldn't Sleep.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.