"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Retrospective Wednesday---I Am the Messenger



Retrospective Wednesday is a new feature at My Head is Full of Books designed to give bloggers a chance to highlight a book that was published in previous years, in the hope that it will cause others to go back and read it. The featured book must have been published one or more years ago.  Please leave a comment and link back to Headfullofbooks from your blog post. Join in the fun highlighting favorite old books.

Retrospective Wednesday #5 --- I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

"Meet Ed Kennedy—underage cabdriver, pathetic cardplayer, and useless at romance. He lives in a shack with his coffee-addicted dog, the Doorman, and he’s hopelessly in love with his best friend, Audrey. His life is one of peaceful routine and incompetence, until he inadvertently stops a bank robbery. That’s when the first Ace arrives. That’s when Ed becomes the messenger. . . . Chosen to care, he makes his way through town helping and hurting (when necessary), until only one question remains: Who’s behind Ed’s mission?"---Goodreads
 It is spring time. The time of year when librarians have to reach down deep to find those books that interest seniors in their last term of school.  Not an easy task.  I Am the Messenger is one of my go-to-books for senior boys this time of year. Boys seem to identify with Ed Kennedy, a slacker who morphs into hero. I've had more than one of these boys tell me that this is the best book they have ever read. First published in 2002 in Australia and 2005 in the US this tremendous book still speaks to teens and young adults today.  Due to mature themes, I do not recommend this book for younger teens.  This story is both funny and touching.  It is also intriguing. Who is sending Ed on his assignments and why?

Read it and find out for yourself.


 

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite books in the world! I'm so glad you recommend it and that it seems to be a hit.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.