"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday Salon...April 1


Spring Break week ahead.  Do I get a refund if the weather is awful all week?

Weather today... Sunny right now but there is a serious threat of rain. 

In the school library this past week: It was a seriously quiet week in the library.  Just a few classes in and out.  Lots of kids in for lunch time, though, since it was pouring outside.

I'm reading: 1. Emma by Jane Austen and 2. Returning by Christine Hinwood
 
I'm listening to: Beneath a Meth Moon by Jacqueline Woodson. A girl gets involved using meth (she calls it moon) after her family is transplanted to a new town after Hurricane Katrina claims the lives of her mother and grandmother. 

Book finished this week:  
  1. Irises by Fransisco X. Stork. Two sisters are left alone to care for their mother who is in a persistent vegetative state after their father dies suddenly. 
  2. Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall. A novel in verse. 
  3. Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbaugh. A coming-of-age story about a boy who wakes up one morning to discover that he is really fast and athletic. Along the way he makes new friends and discovers a lot about his family history.
 
Reading/bookish goals for the week: I hope to read at least 5 books this week to catch up on my number goal for the year (120) and to knock books off from my reading challenges.  So far, so good.  I've finished 1 1/2  books already. In addition I hope to blog every day and catch up on all my back book reviews that I've been sitting on for a while.


Scripture lesson in church: Palm Sunday! Matthew 21:8-11. Today on the church calendar we celebrate Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem one week before he was crucified.

I'm praying for: Friends who are divorcing after 35+ years of marriage.  It is so sad.

Around the house: This week I have to pack up the whole lower part of the house in preparation for hardwood floor installation the following Monday.  Lucky I have a week off school to do it.

From the kitchen: Daughter #1 made lasagna cups that work for dieting ladies. Yum.

Memorable event of the week: My book club met on Wednesday afternoon. A lot had happened in everyone's lives since the last time we met. We needed to be together to support and love-up on each other.

A favorite quote this week: “Reading...a vacation for the mind..." -Dave Barry

 

5 comments:

  1. Sad about the friends! The hardwood floors will look great. I'm so glad that I could make to BC for some of that love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about your friends....

    I like the quote about reading. I think that's true for me....

    Enjoy your break!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. The packing doesn't sound like fun, but hardwood floors are very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that your book group is also a women's group/support group. Mine are too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a wonderful spring break week. And I love that quote.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.