"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Retrospective Wednesday...Hunger Games Audio Book

Retrospective Wednesday is a feature at My Head is Full of Books designed to give bloggers a chance to highlight a book that was published in previous years, in the hope that it will cause others to go back and read it. The featured book must have been published one or more years ago.

Before The Hunger Games movie hit the big screen, my daughters and I encouraged my husband to read the book. In an attempt to facilitate this, I requested the audiobook from the public library.  It arrived long after we saw the movie.  Ah well.  When I finally got the notice from the library that my hold was ready I considered letting it go, then thought I might enjoy a "reread" in the audio format. I was right.  I not only enjoyed it but so did my daughters. We listened to it with on a recent trip to Oregon and then sat in the family room for several additional hours and continued listening.

The experience was magical.  Not only because I had forgotten how wonderful this book really is, but I enjoyed sharing the listening experience with my daughters so much. Carolyn McCormick, the voice actor for the audio version of Hunger Games, is simply astonishing.  Her pacing, voices, and inflection help build the tension and the drama of each scene.  She created a very believable voice for Peta when he had the gravely throat from illness and dehydration, and, of course, her voice is now Katniss's voice to me.

I encourage you to try an audiobook of one of your favorite books and see if it doesn't make you fall in love with the book all over again.  The audiobook of the Hunger Games, published in 2008, would be a wonderful place to start.

What audiobooks have you enjoyed and recommend?


 -Anne

2 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the audiobook for The Hunger Games and am getting the audio for the next two books.

    I also have enjoyed the Harry Potter audiobooks. I am going to be "reading" a couple more in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The audio book for The Hunger Games didn't catch my fancy when I listened to an excerpt. I read the trilogy instead.

    I do have plenty of good audio books to recommend. Some great ones I've listened to are the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld, read by Alan Cumming and the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, read by Nathaniel Parker. Currently I'm listening to The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy, read by Bronson Pinchot. It's very good.

    I also really liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Bloody Jack and Water for Elephants.

    I've become a bit addicted to audio books... Happy audio book month for this coming June, by the way! There's going to be an audio book blog hope over at http://www.readingteen.net/ if you want to check it out.

    Happy listening!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.