"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Salon, June 3

Dreaming about lazy summer days.
Weather today... Overcast, cool, and rainy. We're having a wet, cold end to our Spring. 

Yesterday a high school friend, Jean, and her partner stopped by for an overnight visit. It was a reminder about the preciousness of friendships and I should be better at nourishing them. Thanks, Jean. I love you.

Today the leadership team at church competes in a Bible Jeopardy against the Children's Sunday School classes. Every year the adults lose. Later in the day we serve lunch to the homeless population in our area.

I'm reading: 
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix.  One of my colleagues always raves about this book and the series.  I am enjoying it. 
I'm listening to:
  • Day After Night by Anita Diamant---Set in Palestine in 1945 before Israel was a country. It is interesting and so well-written. This is the perfect format for this book with all of the Hebrew words and names.

Book finished this week:   
  • Me and Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews. See the opening paragraph on my Book Beginnings post from Friday.  It was a lot more poignant than I anticipated.
  • Iron King by Julie Kagawa.  I finally finished this opening book of the Iron Fey fantasy series.
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  This was the second time listening to this audiobook.  
  • The Miles Between by Mary Pearson.
Scripture lesson in church:Habakkuk 2:14 "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD..."

I'm praying for:Patt and his wife.  Cancer treatments keep him low on energy with pain and breathing problems.  It is hard to be the spouse at times like these.

Around the house: The librarians from the district were here for a social and the weather cooperated.  We had smoked salmon, shrimp, and lots of other yummy snacks.

From the kitchen: Dan (my daughter's fiance) and I taste tested a red wine we're considering for the wedding, Renegade Red. It's motto: "Glasses, we don't need no stinking glasses."

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful week! Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers! Just finished Bitterblue and I'm not sure how I felt about it. Not as good as the other books in the series, in my opinion. Love the motto of that wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't get to Bitterblue until this summer or maybe even this Fall. I'm bummed that it isn't as good as the other two.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear you are enjoying the Anita Diament book. I loved The Red Tent but haven't gotten around to reading this one yet

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.