"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday Salon, July 22

My daughter and I horsing around before the wedding.
Weather: We are having very cool weather this summer. Today is it overcast and has sprinkled rain on and off, definitely not summer-like weather.

Yesterday, Don and I shopped at REI for clothing to take with us on our upcoming trip. We each bought two pairs of ExOfficio underwear...their advertising slogan "17 countries... 6 weeks... one pair of underwear. (OK, maybe two.)" Hope it is the truth because we are planning on it.

Today: We went out to brunch with our newly married daughter and her husband.  It is the first time that the four of us have been together since the wedding. Sigh.



Book challenge: I have just completed my 11th book toward my reading challenge to read 20 books in the 31 days of July. I'm also in the middle of three books so I am not as far off schedule as it seems.



Audiobook: 
  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline---I am REALLY enjoying this book.  In fact, I purchased a copy of the actual book so that I can read ahead when I don't have the opportunity to listen to it.
Currently reading:  

  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein... WWII historical fiction about two girls who get involved in the war effort.
  • Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen... a young teenager with Tourette's Syndrome is misunderstood by his family and his school mates.
  • Emma by Jane Austen... I am SLOWLY making progress through this classic.
Recently finished: 

Scripture Lesson today: Luke 24:35 " Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when they broke the bread."

I'm praying for: my daughter who is in Italy and has a bad cold, she also has had some disappointments with her roommates.

Around the house: Watching the British Open (replay) with my husband right now.

Book Club meetings this week: 
  • SOTH CLUB---Day After Night by Anita Diamant---we had an invigorating discussion about the Jewish troubles in Palestine after WWII. I recommend this book for book clubs; 
  • RHS BOOK CLUB: Peace Like a River by Lief Enger---this is one of my top ten books of all time, but everyone did not agree with me. Half liked it and half didn't.  I suspect it had less to do with the book and more to do with what was going on in their personal lives. Sigh, it sucks to get old.  We still had a good discussion, though.


 

2 comments:

  1. I just finished Ready Player One! Fantastic book, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my daughter just finished Ready Player One and really enjoyed it too!! I'm in the middle of a huge chunkster but I"ll check it out one of these days!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.