"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Salon, July 29

Weather: We are having very cool weather this summer. It is almost as if we aren't having a summer.  It hit 80 degrees one day this past week. Ugh.


Yesterday, I went out to lunch with two friends while my husband was doing his week-end duty for the National Guard.


Today: I will start packing for our Italy trip.  Yes, we are going to Italy!!!! We leave in three days and I am so excited. It will be my first trip to Europe since I traveled around it by train with my college roommate over 30 years ago. I have all the travel sized items I need and new travel clothes purchased, now to get everything into the suitcase.


Book challenge: I have completed my 17th book toward my reading challenge to read 20 books in the 31 days of July. My goal today is to finish one book and start another. Can I read three books in three days? It seems unlikely because I find myself watching the Olympics rather than reading.

Audiobook: 
  • Cinder by Melissa Meyer---a retelling of the Cinderella story; she is a cyborg. It's a very creative take on the old tale.
Currently reading:  
  • The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer Smith...it is time for a quick love story, don't you think?
  • Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen... I have partially abandoned this book.  It just isn't what I was expecting and haven't enjoyed it so far.
  • Emma by Jane Austen... I am SLOWLY making progress through this classic.
Recently finished: 
  • Ready Player One by Ernest Cline...love, love, love this geektastic book.
  • Stotan! by Chris Crutcher---an early Crutcher book but it is a timely book since it is about swimming and training to be the best.
  • The Year of the Beast by Castellucci and Powell
  • Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks
  • A Bride's Story #1 by Karou Mori... phenomenal art work in this graphic novel
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein...wonderful historical fiction. Worth the read.
Scripture Lesson today: Colossians 1:17- "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."


I'm praying for: my friend recently diagnosed with breast cancer and my friend whose husband has been in the hospital this week due to advanced prostate cancer.


Around the house: Watching the Olympics. I loved the opening ceremony!  Didn't you? London, you rock!


Italy here we come! Don't expect a Sunday Salon until we get back. Arrivederci!


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, a trip to Italy sounds wonderful! Enjoy...and I am curious about many of the books you are reading. Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your Italy trip, wow! Rock on! Look forward to your reviews. Much reading on that transatlantic flight! cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com/

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.