"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, July 2, 2012

Sunday Salon, on Monday (Wedding Edition)

Bennett-Adams Wedding, June 30. 2012


Wedding Weekend: Our daughter got married this past Saturday.  As you can imagine we spent a lot of time and energy getting ready for the big day/week-end.  It was so lovely, meaningful, and fun.  Now we are exhausted but so pleased.


Weather: Our cloudy, cold week-end weather broke just in time for the wedding and we had a lovely evening of eating, dancing, and festivities.

Yesterday, Sunday our extended family gathered at our house to eat up left over food, cake, and candy from the wedding. At one point we had 26 people roaming around the house and swarming the table, eating up all the scraps.  Everyone left with a plate of extra cake, though. We had three half sheets of cake leftover.  Ha!  :)

Today We took our youngest daughter to the airport.  She left for a month of schooling in Italy. I hope she can sleep on the plane after our exhausting week-end and late night packing session. Then I spent the rest of the day returning rented items, and scrunched in a visit to the chiropractor who gave me such sweet advice that I cried.  He said that he prayed that we did all we could for our daughter as we raised her.


Tonight Don and I will be home alone .  Guess we'd better get used to it.  We are still eating wedding leftovers.  Tonight cold salmon and rosemary potatoes.

Book challenge: I have read very little the past two weeks.  In an attempt to catch up on my summer reading list I have issued myself a reading challenge to read 20 books in the 31 days of July.  I just finished A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron and I'm about half finished with Lockdown: Escape from the Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith.


I'm listening to... The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm on the last disc.  Love it!


Up Next:
  • Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (Audio)
  • Zeitoun by Dave Eggers (Audio)
  • Sabriel by Nix (I'm about 1/4th of the way through it)
I'm praying for: my friend who just learned that she has non-smokers lung cancer and a friend whose husband is struggling with his cancer treatments. Neither were able to make it to the wedding for understandable reasons, but I still missed them so much.


Around the house: Rita and Dan will be here tomorrow to start moving her out. Sigh.

From the kitchen: A shout-out for my friend Susie who catered a luncheon on wedding day for family members in town so we could all gather and have good food before the wedding. The day after the wedding the rest of the family ate every scrap of leftovers from this luncheon.  It makes me smile to think of my family swarming the food!  Ha!

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! What an exciting time. A perfect Canada Day holiday. cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how wonderful! Congratulations to you and all your family, Anne.
    And you've still kept up your reading: I am impressed.
    I enjoyed A Dog's Purpose quite a bit, but it was given to me by a student, so perhaps that had me valuing the book more than I otherwise would have. The Night Circus has been on my TBR list forever. Perhaps the summer's the time to get to it.
    I wish you all the best on your 20 in July self-challenge too, and have no doubt that you will accomplish whatever you set your intentions on.
    IMHO: Half Broke Horses on audio = meh.
    Zeitoun (read it) = big thumbs up.
    Sabriel = I'm the one who hasn't read a single installment in this series, not that I have anything agin' it, so I'm interested to see your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patt is definitely struggling and was very wobbly this weekend, so I didn't feel that he could go anywhere. (or that I could leave him) The photos are GORGEOUS!! What wonderful memories. *sniff* I'm hoping to be there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend (and very smart of you to give away all the cake!). I am reading Insurgent, with Bruiser waiting in the wings. I hope you like Zeitoun, I found it really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the wedding! My daughter got married in May, and I feel like we are still recovering. It's a huge build up, and takes a while to get over it. I don't think we'll ever get over it -- such a great day. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son moved back IN my house right before the wedding! Talk about a bomb going off! We are still trying to get things sorted out, him moved in, and her moved out! It's going to take my entire summer. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a busy weekend you had last week and what a dramatic change! And belated congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.