"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books for people who liked Harry Potter books

Hosted by The Broke and Bookish
Top ten books for people who liked Harry Potter books

Sadly most teens today think that they don't like fantasy books.  How quickly they forget how much they enjoyed the Harry Potter series when they were younger.  Or perhaps they never read the books, just saw the movies.  If that is the case, the #1 books on this list would be, er, all the Harry Potter books. All the rest of the book on the list are fantasy books that appeal to teens of all ages.

1. Sabriel by Garth Nix...I just finished this dark but intriguing book last week. It should be on everyone's TBR list.

2. His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman--- all of the books in this series make up a masterpiece. If you saw the movie and didn't like it, read the books.  They are wonderful, the movie isn't.

3. Graceling series by Kristin Cashore---I haven't read Bitterblue, the third book in the series, but I think that both Graceling and Fire (prequel) are simply amazing.

4. Chaos Walking series (The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and The Answer, Monsters of Men) by Patrick Ness--- not sure if this series is actually more fantasy or more science fiction, but either way it is tremendously exciting, not to be missed. Do it quick.  I've heard that there is a movie coming out, and you know what that means.

5. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle series) by Libba Bray---part historical fiction, part Victorian fiction, part magical realism, part mystery, part fantasy...you get the point.

6. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis---my favorite!

7. Eragon and the sequels (Inheritance Cycle) by Chrisptoher Paolini--- these books take a commitment by the reader since they are all tomes.  But once you enter the magical realm of Alagaesia you'll never want to leave. The movie was awful.  Skip it.

8. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor---this book knocked my socks off.

9. Goose Girl by Shannon Hale---this whole series is magical.  I tell kids that the title is the worst part and they shouldn't be biased against it.

10. Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater---not really fantasy, more magical realism, but I LOVED this book so I'm adding it to the list!

8 comments:

  1. My sister has been trying to get me to read Sabriel for years! I think I may just need to take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit of a HP nerd and I'm sad to say that I haven't read most of these. I definitely need to work on that. Fantastic list!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing The Goose Girl around. I like your justification for the title! I will look into it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Gemma Doyle (A Great and Terrible Beauty) series!
    I've been on the waiting list for the first of the Chaos Walking series, and I FIIIINALLY got it! I'm starting that series this week.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I love Harry Potter and I adore some the books you've picked such as the Gemma Doyle Series, Chronicles of Narnia, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Eragon, Graceling, and His Dark Materials! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I actually haven't read a fair few of these but I loved Graceling and so many I can't wait to pick up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I've read about half of these, so I'll have to check out the others! Sabriel is an awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices for Harry Potter fans. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.