"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 1, 2012

Banned Books Week...Day 1


Banned Books Week 2012 began this past week-end.  I had such a crazy week-end I didn't get my post ready to participate in the Banned Books Week Challenge and Giveaway. Sorry. Even though I am no longer on the official list I promise to blog about censorship, 1st Amendment, and/or book banning every day this week.

Start the week by listening to this brief introduction to the 30th anniversary for Banned Books Week by Bill Moyers. Bill talks about the impact libraries have had on his youth, his dismay over book challenges in modern times, and why censorship is the biggest enemy of truth.


Then jump over to the BBW Virtual Read Out on YouTube-Banned Books Weeks and start the week off listening to Stephen Chbosky, author of Perks of Being a Wallflower, reading a poem about suicide.

"It's strange because sometimes, I read a book, and I think I am the people in the book."- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Preserve freedom, read a banned book.

What is your favorite banned book?  My long time favorite is To Kill a Mockingbird, but my new favorite is Hunger Games.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.