"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Salon...Nov. 18


Weather:  Cold and rainy. This is the miserable stuff that the Pacific NW is famous for.  Ugh.

This past week: 
I had a medical procedure on Thursday. Once I recovered from the anesthesia, I actually had a nice day "off work" with my husband and I just puttering around the house. 


Yesterday. A family member had a house-warming party. After leaving there I went to a church potluck with my daugheter and son-in-law.  My hubby is out of town.

Today:  I will spend the better part of the day readying the house for the Thanksgiving celebration we will be hosting on Thursday. The turkey is purchased. Now it is time to change the sheets on the guest beds as we will have a house full.

Book(s) I've finished this week:

  • Grave Mercy by Robin LaFever...historical fantasy where the heroine is actually an assassin nun. It is one of our Mock Printz selections.
  • No others.  Sigh. A slow reading week.
Currently reading/listening to:  
  • Seraphina by Rachel Hartman...another fantasy this one involving dragons and half dragons. I like the writing. Another Mock Printz selection. Audiobook.
  • A Certain October by Angela Johnson...realistic fiction. This book has good reviews but so far, and I'm not far, I am unimpressed. Another Mock Printz selection.
  • Bomb: the Race to build, and steal, the world's most dangerous weapon by Steve Sheinkin...fascinating and frightening stuff.
Scripture Lesson today: Luke 12:15 "Then Jesus said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a person's life does not consist in the abundance of their possessions.'"

I'm praying this prayer
: "God with your help, I can simplify my life and silence the voices telling me that I need more stuff. As Christ works in my life, I will strive to do the will of God that comes in simplicity, faithfulness, and generosity."

From the kitchen: My husband made a killer pot of chicken cacciatore. When he puts his mind to it, he is a much better cook than I.



4 comments:

  1. Love the format of these Sunday Salon posts of yours, Anne. You cover everything. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Readerbuzz! I've been horrible about being faithful at taking my family and I to church. I love the teaching, but havent been connected in the way I'd like, nor my kids. I do hope you have a lovely thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Readerbuzz! I've been horrible about being faithful at taking my family and I to church. I love the teaching, but havent been connected in the way I'd like, nor my kids. I do hope you have a lovely thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to hear what you've been doing! I am glad the medical procedure went well

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.