"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Salon...Dec. 16


This week I have just been sick, sick, sick about the shooting deaths of the school children in Connecticut.  Why, why, why? Two things seem obvious: our mental health system in this country is broken and we makes guns way too accessible. We have GOT to fix these things.  Sigh.

The funniest thing that delighted me this week was the message my husband wrote to me with the dirty socks I had left lying around the floor of our bedroom: I LOVE U. Now I really don't want to pick the socks up. Smile.

Yesterday we finished our Christmas cards. We are one of those irritating families that send out a holiday letter each year.  Yesterday Don wrote it, we ran to Kinkos to print it, then we all sat down and personalized  each with a note. All we have left to do is drop them at the post office.  Yea!

Today our church choir, in which my husband is a member, had a program at a tiny little church up in the mountains, not far from Mt. Rainier. It had been snowing and the setting looked a little like a setting of a Courier and Ives picture. Afterwards our eldest daughter had a delicious crock pot roast ready for dinner. Ah.

Tomorrow we celebrate our youngest daughter's birthday. She is turning 21 on Tuesday and will go out with friends that night. Later this week we head to Las Vegas to help her celebrate even more.

Book finished this week:

  • Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd---historical fiction set in Northern Ireland in the early 1980s when the country was experiencing so much turmoil.
  • Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus by Francis Church---a Christmas classic.

Books reading:

  • Faith Club: a Muslim, a Jew, and a Christian- Three Women Search for Understanding...I was hoping to have this book done by now because book club is this Tuesday but I am within striking distance and will have it finished in time.
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan...brides from within seals, hmmm weird stuff.

Audiobook:

  • Dodger by Terry Pratchett...I am looking forward to listening to another Pratchett book.

Scripture: Luke 21:28 " And when these things come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; your redemption draweth nigh."

Thought that speaks to me after the events of this week:

Our hope is in no other save in Thee; 
Our faith is built upon Thy promise free; 
Lord, give us peace, and make us calm and sure, 
That in Thy strength we evermore endure.
-John Calvin




1 comment:

  1. I always send out a photo card and holiday letter as well and this year decided to save money and go green. I created a photo newsletter and emailed it out. I love getting cards, so am not convinced it's the way to go yet, but it worked for this year. Actually, it's nice since I've been getting email responses from people and that doesn't happen with cards.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.