"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday Salon...December 9

Weather:
"The days are short, 
the sun a spark,
Hung thin between
the dark and dark."
                   -John Updike

Yesterday my daughter and I worked on the Christmas puzzle, played on our computers, and eventually got dressed. Later my husband and I went to a holiday party hosted by my school district director.  He is in charge of arts (drama, music, art), libraries, and physical education.  Anyone who teaches in those disciplines was invited.  It was a mash of people who by in large don't know each other but it was a very festive event. (By the way, the puzzle was missing a piece even though we just opened it new.  How does that happen? See above.)

Day before yesterday we decorated the house for the holidays while music blared from the stereo, "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas..." (Which, by the way, pretty much never happens around here.)

Today is a blank palette on which I hope to paint a lovely day.

Books read this week: Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler... a slow moving but rather thoughtful examination about the choices we make in life and the path those decisions sends us on. The ending was very satisfying.

Books I'm currently reading:

  • The Faith Club: A Muslim, a Christian, and a Jew---Three Women Search for Understaning by Idliby, Oliver, and Warner
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan


Audiobook: Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd...Fergus is inadvertently caught up in the NRA struggle in Northern Ireland. He also discovers a young girl entombed in the bog near his house.

Scripture lesson of the day: Colossians 2:2, 3 "My purpose is that they may be so encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God..."

Prayers for my friend whose husband just died of lung cancer. May she find comfort and peace in these dark days.

From the kitchen: Tater Tot Casserole. I had the worst headache on Tuesday at work. Part of the way through the day I started thinking about the ingredients and fixings for dinner that I had at home so I wouldn't have to go to the store with a headache. I recalled a conversation my husband and I recently had about this old recipe of comfort food when it hit me, I have all the ingredients.  I can make that.  It WAS comforting but certainly not health food.

Dark Christmas Comments
Magickal Graphics



6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice week. Enjoy the coming week, too!


    My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe a piece was missing from a brand new puzzle! Doing a puzzle in winter is so much fun; I wonder why we don't do them in the summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your support and comfort during these dark days means a lot! Love you. P.S. That tater tot casserole DOES sound good. I love tater tots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tater Tot casserole recipe pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! I love that when I visit my Mom in Arkansas there's always a tater tot option on the Sides menu of most restaurants and I always order them. Don't find tater tots on the menus in Los Angeles. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lovely, relaxing, fun weekend you had! A day that is a blank palette?? Feels like I haven't had one of those since I was 12. I think that will be one of my new year goals - to enjoy the weekends more - they are too often filled with work and must-dos now. I spent 2 hours on Sunday filling out insurance claim forms! Though we did enjoy a nice lunch out on Saturday with our local CFS families.

    And I haven't done a jigsaw puzzle in AGES! You have inspired me.

    Hope you have a lovely week and enjoy your books -

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.