"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday Salon, January 13

Weather...clear and cold; unusual for the Pacific Northwest even in the winter. Weather reports say there may be snow in our future, even rarer.

Today...I got up early to attend the first service at church so I could get home to watch the Seahawks (Seattle football) play their playoff game in Atlanta. But when I got home, the fine weather called my name.  I first had to take the dog out for a walk. She must not be feeling well and I practically had to drag her around the block. Poor thing.

Yesterday...I had one of those rare "do nothing" days, which doesn't mean I did nothing, but I did what I wanted which meant a lot of reading and blogging.

What I'm reading:

  • 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life by Bob Welsh...I am attempting to read three lessons per day.
  • Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick...a fictional look at the Killings Fields of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Powerful and depressing, but very readable.

My audiobook:

  • Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell...this is my first book by this author but it won't be my last. Wow. This book has it all---a bit of romance, mystery, and history. Set in Cairo in 1921 around the time of the Cairo Peace Conference that divided up the Middle East.

Recently finished:

  • Keeping the Castle by Patrice Kindl...a lighthearted Regency romance/romp with a happy-ending. 

Scripture lesson: Philippians 2:15, 16  "Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life."  

Around the house: we delivered our daughter back to college last Sunday.  The house always seems so quiet and empty when she leaves. *Sigh.

From the kitchen: I didn't bake it, but I bought a loaf of pumpkin/chocolate chip bread at the local bakery. Delicious.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I like this! It's cool. I also enjoy reading audiobooks.
    Cricket@ Little Library Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you're reading Never Fall Down, I really thought McCormick did a good job with a tough subject (as she did with Sold)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would love to read the It's a Wonderful Life book! I just love that movie and watch it every year...though I missed it this year because we had so many guests at Christmas-time.

    Our college son is still at home - the month of January is winter break but it is also Winter Session, a mini-semester. So he is living at home (school is just 20 min away) and taking one class. It is very nice to have him around again, and I;m sure I will miss him when February comes around. His brother really likes having him here!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.