"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Salon...Feb. 24


Weather: Windy and cold

Yesterday: We attended a memorial service for the mother of a friend. It was an awesome service, quite a testimony to the woman's life and her legacy. I felt honored to be in attendance to have known the woman and her family. In the evening, we attended a musical performance in Seattle that my cousin's daughter was involved in.  It was mostly baroque-type music and dancing. It was lovely.

Today: my husband and I messed around setting up my new laptop and getting programs and files off the old one before we decommission it. I am posting this blog from my new computer. Ah....

This past week was much less crazy and frantic than the week before. My birthday was Tuesday and I had lots of small celebrations all week including gals at my book club singing to me, two different dinners out (Monday AND Friday), and no school for one day, and a teacher in-service another day, making my birthday week seem like a short work week.

Tonight: Academy Awards.  I  hope that Argo wins for Best Picture, Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor in Lincoln; Sally Field in Lincoln. And the Oscar goes to...

I'm reading:

  • Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor...book two of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series.
  • Emma by Jane Austen...goal 50 pages a week.  I didn't make my goal last week. Sigh.
  • Prodigy by Marie Lu...book two of the Legacy series. I'm only reading this at lunch time so progress is slow going.
I'm listening to:

  • Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor...I'm listening to AND reading this book at the same time.
Finished this week:

  • Impossible Rescue: the True Story of an Amazing Arctic Adventure by Martin Sandler
  • Moon Moth by Jack Vance 
This week's scripture: Ephesians 4:3 "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."

Focus of prayers this week as part of Lent: For our President and elected officials.

Around the house: Unfortunately, I've not done much.  In fact, I stood and looked at a bunch of pet fur all over the kitchen floors just a few minutes ago and didn't jump up to get the broom.

From the kitchen: Broccoli Beef made with the leftover tri-tip beef. It was about the only thing I cooked all week.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a good week. Although a memorial service isn't something want to need to attend, it is always lovely when it fits the person and does a great job of celebrating their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Anne! Sounds like you had a good week - glad to hear it :)

    And some good reading too - I am watching your Emma progress with great interest!

    Enjoy your books this week!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.