"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sunday Salon...Feb. 3rd



Weather: Foggy, again! This is the foggiest winter I remember.  Ugh.

Yesterday: My husband and I went to see the movie Argo about the rescue of six American diplomats hiding in the Canadian embassy during the Iranian crisis in 1979/80.  It is very well done and thrilling.  The night before we went and saw The Hobbit. We joked that we should go to another movie today but there is a football game on this afternoon...

Today: I finally cleaned off the guest bed which had been cover with Christmas wrapping paper and bows. Don removed the lights from outside the house yesterday. Now if I get around to removing the wreath from the door we'll have all traces of Christmas finally put away.

This past week: This past Monday was not only the first day of a new semester it was the Mock Printz Workshop after school. Nearly thirty students showed up to discuss and vote for their favorite books of the past year. It was very stimulating.

Currently reading: In Darkness by Nick Lake. This was the actual Printz Award book this year. It wasn't on many lists so I am sure that I am not the only one who was surprised that it claimed the highest honor.

Currently listening to on audiobooks: A Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: a Memoir of Going Home by  Rhoda Janzen. This is a book club selection.

Completed this week: Railsea by China Mieville...this was a REAL challenge to read to its completion. I ended up enjoying this steampunk-meets-the-future story but it took over 150 pages of reading until I thought this.

From the kitchen: Did I cook this week? I don't remember. The whole week was a blur.

I think I'll take a little nap before the Super Bowl. Bye!

3 comments:

  1. I'm working on Antifragile. Very dense. Tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are just now getting rid of the traces of Christmas! Our wreath finally came down about a week ago.

    Argo is on my list of "must see" movies along with Lincoln and Zero Dark Thirty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hasn't finished putting Christmas stuff away!

    I hadn't heard of Argo. It sounds interesting! Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.