"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Poem in Your Pocket Day


Today, April 18th, is Poem in Your Pocket Day.
Select a poem, carry it with you, and share it with others throughout the day.

Here is the poem I carried with me today. I read it to any student or teacher who would listen.

Song of the Builders
On a summer morning
I sat down
on a hillside
to think about God-

a worthy pastime.
Near me, I saw
a single cricket;
it was moving the grains of the hillside

this way and that way.
How great was its energy, 
how humble its effort.
Let us hope

it will always be like this,
each of us going on
in our inexplicable ways
building the universe.

from Why I Wake Early (2004) by Mary Oliver

1 comment:

  1. But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
    Too full for for sound and foam,
    When that which drew from out the boundless deep
    Turns again home.
    --Alfred Tennyson

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.