"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Retrospective Wednesday: The Kite Runner



This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic asked about favorite books that predated my blogging career. I decided to focus on Young Adult books or else I certainly would have included The Kite Runner on my list. That got me thinking that I really should go back and blog about some of my favorite books that deserve a second look not only from me but from you, also.

This past February marked the 10th anniversary since The Kite Runner was first published. It was a publishing phenomenon. It spent something like 103 weeks on the NY Times Bestseller list , which is just crazy to think about. But then it is an unforgettable story. It is about the friendship between two boys, one wealthy, one not, and the circumstances which catapulted them into different spheres.

The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.  It is a sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years.---Khaled Hosseini's Webpage

If by some chance you missed the two years that The Kite Runner was at the top of the heap or you were to too young to pay attention, it is not too late to discover this book for the first time. It is one of those books   likely to stay with you long after finishing the last page. If you, like me, read it ten years ago, maybe it is time to give it a fresh peek. It will be a good warm up, as I understand that Khaled Hosseini's third book, And the Mountains Echoed, is coming out next month. Can't wait!



2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to read this one as I've heard great things about it for so long! As for your questions about Altered by Jennifer Rush, yes I would say it's perfect for high schoolers as it is age appropriate without any subject matters that may be deemed inappropriate. Its just an all around fun and thrilling read :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I generally don't like books that have rapes in them, but this one was so powerful that I could move beyond my squeamishness.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.