"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bout of Books 7.0 Midweek Update


My first update.  How am I doing on my Bout of Books 7.0 readathon?

I finished the audiobook, Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. LOVED IT! It is my type of book for sure.  Look for my review soon. I don't have a print edition of this book so I would have to listen to it while driving to and from work and then in the evening sitting in front of my computer with the headphones in.

I also finished the book Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again by Roger Housden. This is my 7th book I've read by Housden in as many weeks and I've come to the end of his poetry books. I'll have to branch out now.  What I appreciate about Housden's books is the essays he writes after each poem which adds to my depth of understanding. This one was not my favorite, though I liked it.  If you want to try one of his books begin with his first: Ten Poems to Change Your Life.

I read a chapter in two different YA books trying to determine which I wanted to read next: Burger Wuss by M.T. Anderson and Freewill by Chris Lynch. Neither of them grabbed me after one chapter but I am determined to read them both in my quest to become more and more familiar with books that appeal to boys. Likely I will read Freewill first. It is on my back desk at work so I can catch a few chapters during lunchtime.

I downloaded a new audiobook and have it cued up on my iPod so I can start listening tomorrow on the drive to work, Jepp, Who Defied the Stars. I purchased this book for my library based on good reviews and I'm having a dickens of a time getting students to check it out. If I read it I should be able to find appropriate readers.

In my hands ready to crack open as soon as I hit PUBLISH on this post is Wildly Romantic  The English Romantic Poets by Catherine Andronik. See, I AM branching out in my poetry reading.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the 24 Hour Bookstore and thought you would like it too! Glad you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't what I expected but I really enjoyed it. It was quite quirky.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.