"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday Salon...May 19th

Here I am coming through the clematis gate.
Weather: Overcast and mild sprinklings of rain

Yesterday: We worked on pruning back the ferns that have grown so big and looked so scraggly.  I couldn't help thinking about how cliche it is to have to prune ferns that look all rusted in the Pacific Northwest. Afterwards we went clothes shopping in Tacoma. My husband likes new clothes but will only buy them if I am along as a personal shopper.

Today: is Pentecost Sunday. For those of you that don't know that holiday, it is the day that the Holy Spirit descended on the disciples in the early church and filled them with God's power and wisdom. We celebrate it by wearing red clothing to symbolize the tongues of fire that descended with the spirit. As a special celebration this year my church joined with five other congregations for one big service which was held at the local high school auditorium.  It was a very moving and dynamic service, some would even say, it was spirit-filled.

After the service: I had to rush off with a few other people from the congregation to serve lunch at a homeless shelter in Tacoma. It is such a simple lunch: sandwiches  chips, bananas, and cookies yet many of the patrons remark that the lunch is perfect because they can take it in bags so that they have something to eat later in the day, or even tomorrow.

Friday: My husband and I attended the author event for the Pierce County Reads finale.  The highlighted book this year was The Paris Wife by Paula McLain.  Both of us really enjoyed both the book and listening to McLain talk about her experiences writing it. I'm now on a 1920s literature kick.  Perhaps my next audiobook selection will be one of  Hemingway's books.

Books read this week:

  • Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan...a quirky yet very fun book, nothing what I expected but delighted by it nonetheless. I listened to the audiobook of this novel.
  • Wildly Romantic: The English Romantic Poets by Catherine Andronik...Wordsworth, Coleridge,  Lord Byron, Shelley, and Keats. I'm not a huge fan of their poetry but I was agape at descriptions of their lifestyles.
  • Ten Poems to Change Your Life Again and Again edited by Roger Housden...I've completely exhausted all of Housden's poetry books and, as you see from the above selection, am now forced to branch out.
Books currently reading:

  • Jepp, Who Defied the Stars by Katherine Marsh...this is my current audiobook selection. I think it would be described as historical fantasy.
  • Freewill by Chris Lynch...a short book that I hope will be of interest to male readers.
  • Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen...I have begun reading this book and hope to provide a weekly update of my progress, as I did for Emma earlier this year.

Scripture: Acts 2:2-4 "When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them."

Prayers for: my daughter and my nephew who are looking for work; for a friend who is really struggling with low energy caused by lupus. 


In the garden: between this week and last we have all the containers planted with annuals, the seeds are in the ground for sweet peas, and we even have a container tomato this year.  The bees are working on the waxy tops of the peonies so they should bloom soon, a few irises are lingering, and the rhododendrons are still looking lovely.

In the kitchen this week: Tamale Pie that lasted for three meals. I love leftovers if it means I don't have to cook and shop.

Quote of the Day: "Books have a unique way of stopping time in a particular moment and saying: Let’s not forget this."---Dave Eggers

4 comments:

  1. What a good week you had! Mr Penumbra's 24 hour bookstore sounds good. I almost started reading it this week, but picked up something else. Maybe next week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a wonderful Pentecost! Our choir was sparse this morning, but we sang with spirit anyway. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun weekend!

    I would really like to read Mr. Penumbra's...

    So, you are embarking on another Austen? Maybe I will finally tackle Emma this summer! Both my book groups take a break after the end of June.

    I love leftovers, too!

    Sue
    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week! :) I hope you enjoy Sense and Sensibility it's one of my favorite books.

    My Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.