"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 16, 2013

The library's many leading roles...

"A library is a place where you can lose your innocence without losing your virginity," -Germaine Greer

We have a really good public library system here in Pierce County with branch libraries all over the county from which they draw their collection.  Just about any book or musical item you want, you can get if you are willing to wait a few days for it to be delivered to your branch library. In addition, the City of Puyallup has a very nice library, well staffed and stocked.  This library, though not part of the Pierce County system, cooperates with the county and allows dual membership. I am constantly driving to one or the other of the libraries to check out the books that I want to read or listen to. And, of course, I can check out books from my own high school library. Sometimes I actually have to careful not to return books to the wrong library.  I know.  I am spoiled.  If only everyone could have such a rich culture of libraries to draw from.

Today I stumbled upon this story from NPR about libraries in film and music.  It takes 8 minutes to listen to it, but it is worth it as it has sound clips from the various movies, TV shows and songs.  I am still smiling from the experience.  Get the program started on your computer and, since it is audio only, you can listen while you peruse the Internet, play a game, or, I hope, noodle around on my blog and make a few comments here and there.  Have fun.  Happy listening. Click here:  NPR:  Libraries Leading Roles
"When you're growing up," a wise man once said, "there are two institutional places that affect you most powerfully: the church, which belongs to God, and the public library, which belongs to you." -Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones member
When the recession hit a few years back it was just about the same time as the explosion of the Kindle and other e-readers. Everyone, everywhere was saying this was the end of books and the need for libraries. yet, when I went to my public library the place would be stuffed with people searching the internet, checking out DVDs, attending story-time, filling out tax forms with help, reading books and magazines, perusing the music section, figuring out how to check out e-books from the library, and making copies. The place was a beehive of activity. One day I had to pick up something at the public library for a teacher so I drove over during the school day to pick it up. I was a few minutes early so the library wasn't open yet. I sat in my car in the parking lot to wait. While I sat there between 15 and 20 cars/people did the same thing so by the time the library actually opened there was a small rush of twenty people pushing in the doors. Libraries are definitely not dead or dying.

Libraries are the best bargain anywhere. Anyone who complains about the cost of books needs to head to their library where they are free. My library even accepts suggestions so they will purchase books/DVDs/music if it doesn't have it, just because I want it. Granted I will have to wait a while, but what a deal! Now if your library isn't as responsive as mine, why not get on their advisory board? Help pass bond issues for libraries? Be proactive.  Your efforts will not only help you, but everyone in your community.



1 comment:

  1. That was a really cool npr story. I liked the bit when they quoted someone saying, "In a library you can lose your innocence without losing your virginity."

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.