"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, March 14, 2014

Book Beginnings and Friday 56, Mar.14

Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't dig for a favorite book, the coolest, or the most intellectual. Just use the one currently being read.

Book:
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

Book Beginning: 
The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, 'What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault.' You'll notice that wasn't even the question.
Friday 56:
...I was unpacking my photos, mugs, and snow baby collection when I looked up and saw Elgin Branch across the atrium. He wasn't wearing any shoes, just socks, which I found odd.
My thoughts:
     This story is nothing like what I thought it would be.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this book. Bernadette is a nutjob but I liked her.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book...it was such a fun and quirky story. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to like it and did enjoy parts of it--but I thought it was overdone and tried too hard to be out there with the humor and the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I am beginning to feel the same way. Everyone says the book is so funny yet I am nearly 100 pages into it and haven't laughed once. In fact, I find it almost disturbing.

      Delete
  4. This book is following me around ;) Too many rave reviews, too many bloggers saying READ IT. I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this book for soooo long. Very cute Friday 56!!!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.