"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings, March 21


 Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't dig for a favorite book, the coolest, or the most intellectual. Just use the one currently being read.




Book: How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig

Book Beginnings:
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows
Nine words. Each word one syllable. Nine syllables. That's all it is. It isn't hard to learn this line of poetry. It's from the play A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, and I'll bet your son or daughter can memorize it in less than a minute.
 Friday 56:
The poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge said that "prose equals words in best order; poetry equals the best words in the best order." Williams Wordsworth called poetry "the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings." And Emily Dickinson said, "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know it is poetry."
My thoughts: I have been feasting on the contents of this book for months now and just finished it yesterday. I don't really think the two quotes you got here are good representations of how wonderful this book really is but you get the idea that a. It is about teaching your children to love Shakespeare by helping them memorize some of the best lines from his plays and b. It isn't just about memorization but also about good literature in general.

Your thoughts? Leave them in the comment section.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love Shakespeare, but it is an acquired taste I believe.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.