"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Quote from Books and Reading, the last installment


Click for more information on this title 

I'm still treasuring the few moments here and there reading the slim Dover Thrift version of Books and Reading: A Book of Quotations, edited by Bill Bradfield. This will be my last installment of favorite quotes I found within.
Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape? The moneylenders, the know-nothings, the authoritarians have us all in prison. It we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's plan duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!---J.R.R. Tolkien
I read because my father read to me. And because he'd read to me, when my time came I knew intuitively there is a torch that is supposed to be passed from one generation to the next. And through countless nights of reading I began to realize that when enough of the torchbearers-parents and teachers- stop passing the torches, a culture begins to die.---Jim Trelease
Be careful of reading health books. You might die of a misprint.---Mark Twain
Books are a hindrance to persisting stupidity.---Richard Steele
What's another name for Thesaurus?---Steven Wright
I read A Wrinkle in Time three times in a row once, when I was twelve, because I couldn't bear for it to end.---Anna Quindlen
Few children learn to read books by themselves. Someone has to lure them into the wonderful world of the written word. Someone has to show then the way. ---Orville Prescott
A book is the only place where you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face.---Edward P. Morgan

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an absolutely wonderful book to scan through often! I will have to keep an eye out for this. Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.