"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Salon, March 30

Spring Break
An artsy shot of me taking a cold walk on Pacific Beach. There was lots of flotsam and jetsam.

Pacific Beach, Washington: Don and I got out of town and into a traffic mess Friday after school to begin Spring Break at the Washington Coast. The weather is exactly what one would expect for this time of year---windy, cold, rainy, with a few sunbreaks.

New camera being put to good work. Don played with his new camera and got some very good shots on our beach walk.
A seagull posing in the surf
We both had our hoods up to cut the wind. This is one of my first attempts on the new camera.

Quinault Lake: The wettest place in the continental United States with over 150 inches per year as an average. It is in the middle of a rare temperate rain forest. With moss and dripping trees everywhere we understood we were in a very wet place.
Inside Quinault Lake Lodge built in 1926.

Quinault Lake Lodge
Biggest Sitka Spruce in the world: This tree is over 1000 years old. It was a wet, muddy walk to see it.
Looks like a regular big tree until...

...you stand at its base.
Books read this week:

  • Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Don and I finished listening to this audiobook on our trip to the ocean on Friday. We discussed many aspects of Cheryl's trip along the Pacific Coast Trail during our breakfast the next day.
Currently reading:
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I've read another 50 pages toward my read-along challenge.
  • Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple. I've decided to finish it but it's not a favorite choice.
  • Your Food is Fooling You by David Kessler, MD. 
Spring Break Reading Goal: I want to finish the last two books on the above list and to start The Shadow of the Wind while making progress on my next audiobook, A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley. I also hope to spend one whole day doing nothing but reading! Call me a reading addict!



5 comments:

  1. What kind of camera did you get? We just got a new Sony NEX 7 this week. Have some learning to do...but I like it so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great shots! I also want to know what kind of camera you got and if it's hard to use. I've just planned a trip to Alaska and will need a portable high quality camera. (Patt's Nikon D80 is way too big!) Hope you get some sunny weather there, although I'm sure it won't ever get warm. Relax and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where'd You Go Bernadette? wasn't a favourite of mine either, but yet I finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spring on Washington beaches; cold, wet, sloppy and private! I had my reading day yesterday. Three books, one YA titled Flat Out Love.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.