"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, August 18, 2014

TTT: Book people tell me I must read

Here is my list of books people and friends have told me to I should read:

1. A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry---I've actually told people to read this book yet I haven't read it myself.

2. Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien---students have been telling me to read this series, this is #1, for years.

3. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry---I've actually read about 100 pages of this book but so many people have told me to read it, I know I must finish it.

4. Goldfinch by Donna Tartt---Several people have said they like this book but honestly I doubt I will read it because it is so long.

5. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston---once again, I started this book several years ago and didn't finish it. My sister is encouraging me to read it because it is such beautiful imagery.

6. Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King---I was assured that this book isn't scary by my blogging friend who recommended it.

7. American Gods by Neil Gaiman---Students and other teachers have been telling me to read this book since I became a librarian.

8. The Wheels of Time series by Robert Jordan---there are lots of fanatics for this series out there.

9. The Game of Thrones by George R R Martin---so many people are watching this show and the book is popular, too. But I am not watching the show so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

10. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Beauty by David Eggers---It has been on my list for so long I can't even remember who told me to read this book.

5 comments:

  1. American Gods is a wonderful book, I definitely recommend it!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would highly recommend A Song of Ice and Fire. Tartt is on my list too. The Gaiman book is on my TBR list and will probably be read soon as I have it on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Game of Thrones on my list today, too, but I bent our prompt a bit into Books I Might Have Missed. It's a wild horse ride of a book.

    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Goldfinch is great! It's one where the length really isn't an issue -- it doesn't drag and it doesn't seem like the sort of dense reading you expect of something that length. It probably took me longer to read Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which is not as thick. Heartbreaking Work is good, but it did feel like a bit of slog at times (despite the humor). Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen King scares me and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series are simple amazing - even though I have only read the first one, sometimes you can just tell. Neil Gaiman on the other hand, I have to make time to read at least one of his books!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.