"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Quotes

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading.

I'm reading....

 
Book Title: Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero

Book Beginnings: 

My mother named me Gabriela after my grandmother who---coincidentally---didn't want to meet me when I was born because my mother was not married and was therefore living in sin. My mom has told me the story many, many, MANY times how, when she confessed to my grandmother that she was pregnant with me, her mother beat her. BEAT HER! She was twenty five.

Friday 56 (from page 55):
I really don't get why my mother doesn't trust me and has to listen to my phone conversations or why she doesn't think I'm responsible. I get good grade and try to help around the house, and I don't get in trouble at school. Which is more than I can say for Beto who is currently failing P.E. How do you fail P.E.? I don't know, but apparently my brother does. Yet I am labeled the irresponsible and lazy one.
Comments: I just finished this delightful book about Gabi and her senior year in high school: how she finds love, deals with friends and parents, and copes with grief. She is a Hispanic-American girl and it seems there is a huge double standard in her home between what is expected of her compared to her brother, Beto. I love her voice. I think the opening lines are so authentic. 

 

10 comments:

  1. Some people stay true to what they believe... even at the cost of others happiness. Sad but true.
    Gabi's mom would drive me over the edge I think.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. That's an awful to begin with.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog ♥
    NYZE@everythingnyze

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good and the cover is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the mother is projecting her own mistakes onto her daughter...I like the sound of this book. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the beginning and Page 56.

    It does sound good.

    ENJOY your Sunday, and thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title of this book fits the book cover so well! I also very much enjoyed the author's writing style; this looks good! Thanks for sharing :) Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That over is really intriguing! How wonderful to get more diverse authors. And what a beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's sort of sad beginning! Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the cover is a bit... over the top :D The quotes are really interesting and make me want to read this book! Narrator sounds really good and funny! :) Thanks for visiting by Friday post :)
    Book Maniac Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.