"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday Salon, October 26

Location: Eugene, Oregon

Weather: Rainy and blustery. Yesterday en route to Eugene we drove through a tremendous wind storm.

Wedding: we are in Eugene to attend the wedding of my oldest nephew, Jeffrey. He and Alyssa are getting married today at 2 PM. Jeffrey is an alternative-type guy so I anticipate alternative-type wedding. For example, I understand that they have a fog machine. The rehearsal dinner was at a pizza parlor. I'm sure the day will be a fun celebration though.

Calm week: after last week which was crazy-busy, I had a very calm time this past week. I was actually able to catch up on some tasks in the library which hadn't been attended to since the beginning of the school year. What a relief to occasionally have time to think.

Soup: my daughter made a huge pot of vegetable beef soup this week. It was delicious. It is time to go back to the soup diet now that the weather has turned.

Progress on "Moose-a-muffin" project: The sod has been dug up and removed in the back yard making a space for the concrete pad. Of course, it rained like crazy so we will have to wait until it is dry before pouring the concrete. ("Moose-a-muffin" projects are those where one thing leads to a whole chain reaction of necessary projects.  Ours started with the purchase of a new car, which led to cleaning out the garage to make space for it, which led to the necessity of a shed to put our stuff in...)

Books read this week:

  • A Time to Dance by Padma Venkatraman---another YA book written in verse.  I REALLY enjoyed it.  Check out my review.
  • Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero---a YA novel under consideration for inclusion on our Mock Printz list. The "voice" of the narrator was very authentic.  Stay tuned for the review. I am almost done writing it.
  • Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya---this books falls in to the category of a book that everyone should read but with a caveat: it is not an easy read. I was enthralled. An audiobook.
Currently reading:

  • Otherbound by Corrine Duyvis--- a YA half-fantasy book on our Mock Printz list.
  • Divided We Fall by Trent Reedy---the audiobook selection for our car trip south. Don is enjoying it since the main character is in the National Guard. 
 A book club first: my RHS book club met this week to discuss the book The Hotel on the Place Vendome and nobody liked the book at all.  In fact, I think a few of us would use the word "hate".

Prayers: for a dear person with recently diagnosed cancer.

Gotta run and get ready for the wedding. Enjoy your week.


5 comments:

  1. I love that you call them Moose-a-muffin projects. I think that defines every project I've ever done! And yes, it is soup diet weather, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So named by my sister Grace from the book IF YOU GIVE A MOOSE A MUFFIN.

      Delete
  2. The minute I finished Bless Me, I mailed the copy off to my brother to read. So good.

    And, of course, Moose-a-Muffin. So many projects are.

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless Me, Ultima completely blew me away. But I have a feeling that the average reader would appreciate it more with the help of class discussions and teacher-type insights.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to go to Eugene. I've only been to Portland in Oregon so far. Enjoy!
    http://www.thecuecard.com

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.