"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, July 3, 2015

Cous Cous Salad (a recipe)

This is a book blog but I just have to share this new salad with my readers. This is a salad that works well with whatever extra ingredients you have in the fridge or garden. I didn't measure a thing, so I am guessing on the amounts of each ingredient.


Cous Cous ( or quinoa) Summer Salad
(I've made it with each grain at different times, but I am just going to explain how to make it with Cous Cous here.)

1/2 cup dry cous cous
1/2 cup boiling water
1 to 2 T olive oil (I used good quality EVOO)
8 mint leaves, cut into small pieces
1 to 2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1/4-to 1/2 tsp salt
Juice of one small lemon
1/2 avocado chopped into bite sized pieces,
1/4 to 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 to 1/2 cup green pepper cut into bite sized pieces OR cucumber pieces
5-8 grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half or quarters
Your favorite vinegar to taste. I used Spicy Honey Serrano (you can order from Marisolio Tasting Bar)

Serves two, full meal portions

Increase ingredients and amount of cous cous if you want to serve more. Cous cous to water proportion is 1 to 1. I used left over quinoa another time I made the salad. I used about 1 1/2 cups of the already cooked quinoa. I added a whole cucumber and no avocado or green peppers. Adjust salt.

My daughter doesn't like vinegar or tomatoes so I leave these off the salad and add them at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.