"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 26, 2015

TTT: Popular Horror Books

Top Ten Tuesday: Popular Horror Books in the GKHS Library Over the Past Ten Years

1. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare...book one of the Mortal Instruments series tops the list.

2. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater...another first book in a series, this was wildly popular for a few years.

3. Lord Loss by Darren Shan...book one in the Demonata series is in a distant third. This series has faded in popularity in the past few years.

3. Monstrumologist by Richard Yancey...first book in the series, a book which is truly frightening. The second and third books didn't get as much love in my library as this first book.

4. Carrie by Stephen King...If I added up all horror books by author, Stephen King would win hands down.

5. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan...book one in the series. This book has also faded in popularity but still gets a bit of attention.

6. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll...a very popular graphic novel published in 2014

7. The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe...this guy has had a corner of the horror market for over 100 years and kids still want to read his stories today!

8. Cujo by Stephen King...the cover alone is frightening. How can anyone read these books?

9. Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber...first book in a surprisingly popular nine-book series. All the books are short and kids race through the series.

10. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman...I love this author and I can actually read his horror, whereas other authors (King) scare me too much.


9 comments:

  1. This is a great list, Anne. I have been wanting to read Carrie and The Graveyard Book. Shiver is one I've heard good things about. I've read City of Bones and enjoyed it. I haven't read any of the other books to follow though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read City of Bones! Happy Halloween! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fantastic list :-) I have only read two books by Neil Gaiman, but I'm enjoying his work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the kids at your school are wild about scary books. They are at mine and my babies only go up to second grade. I can only imagine the kind of scary books they like at the age of the kids at your school.

    Here's mine: Spoo-ooky Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Monstrumologist series is one of my favorites!

    Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I didn't think of Edgar Allan Poe. I have the complete tales, and it's one of my favorite things to just sit down and read when I don't know what else to read. Great list!

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved City of Bones, but The Graveyard Book is one of my all time favorites. I don't consider it horror at all. I found it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cool take on this list! I have the Monstormologist on my shelf, and I really need to get to it soon! So glad to see your students are reading Poe for fun!
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.