"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Friday Quotes, December 18

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City ReaderShare the opening quote from the book.
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's VoiceFind a quote from page 56.

Check out the links for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Participants don't select their favorite, coolest, or most intellectual books, they just use the one they are currently reading. This is the book I'm reading right now:

Book Title:


Book Beginnings:


Friday 56:

Comments: I've heard such good things about El Deafo by Cece Bell. I saw it today at the public library as I was walking through after returning other books. On an impulse I picked it up. I hadn't realized it was a graphic novel. The text is hard to read on these small photos so let me summarize. The girl is just a regular kid who loves to sing and wear her bathing suit. She gets meningitis and loses her hearing. (Pages 1-11). On page 56 she is debating whether she should continue her friendship with Laura, a bully who accepts her hearing aids but makes her feel bad about herself. I am looking forward to reading more.

15 comments:

  1. I've heard so many great things about this one! I'm glad you're enjoying it!


    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings) and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. Happy weekend reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting concept for a graphic novel. I hope Laura dumps the bully. Thanks for visiting me at http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSweetPepper

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting concept for a graphic novel. I hope Laura dumps the bully. Thanks for visiting me at http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSweetPepper

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute art style! Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just reading an article in Smithsonian Magazine about using comic books (AKA graphic novels) to encourage children to read. Sounds like a good idea to me! This one sounds like a winner.
    My Friday post features THE LOCKET.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have the ARC of this one around the house somewhere. I don't read very many graphic novels but I've heard this was excellent. My 56 this week comes from The Tournament at Gorlan by John Flanagan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These comic-book type of format for kids is very popular these days. My nephews can't get enough of these kinds of books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds sweet and fun, with a message too.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/18/the-friday-56-89-murder-and-other-unnatural-disasters/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds extremely interesting! I'll definitely be checking it out since i love graphic novels and comics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love everything about this book and I've heard only raves ... must include in my TBR, Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anne,

    I must admit that I am not a huge fan of comic books for children, although I have to admit that the graphics are excellent and do the author proud.

    I think that children's books these days are dealing with the difficult and controversial issues of everyday life and I think that is all to the good, so long as the balance can be struck between the realities of life and still allowing the child to be a child.

    The book has received some excellent ratings and reviews, as have the authors other books, so thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, not feeling like you fit in can be really hard. Hope you have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.