"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sunday Salon, March 6th

Image from my front window taken this morning. Signs of spring abound.
Weather: gray and overcast, likely rain with sun intermittently.

A view from my window: Spring is here! The early rhododendrons, daffodils, flowering plum trees, and hyacinths are all blooming. It smells heavenly outside. Yesterday I stood outside and was overwhelmed by the cacophony of songbirds singing their love songs to each other.

A melancholy mood has descended on me: I am hoping a curative round of poetry and Jane Austen movies will cure me. Please check out my blog post Melancholy and Springtime.

Brass Ensemble: The GKHS Brass ensemble won the district music contest a week ago and now are proceeding to the state competition. They played a piece by Giovanni Gabrieli. I am not sure which piece they played but I wanted to give you an idea what this 16th century composer's music sounds like.

Books completed this week:

  • Enormous Smallness: a Story of E.E. Cummings by Matthew Burgess---a children's book about the famous poet which includes several of his poems. I love him more now than ever.
  • The Voice that Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights by Russell Freedman---a biography of the famous black singer who helped desegregate the arts. Very inspiring.
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain---an audiobook and upcoming book club selection. We will have lots to talk about. Very informative.
Currently reading:
  • Teaching with Fire: Poetry that Sustains the Courage to Teach edited by Intrator and Scribner---if you read my blog post about melancholy and springtime you will see that I am not only reading this book to help my professional life but also to bolster my moods.
  • The Sound of Gravel by Ruthie Wariner--- a memoir written by a gal who was the 39th child of a polygamous man and the fourth child to her mother involved in a fundamentalist Mormon sect. The details are horrifying. Audiobook. Progress: 50%.

Thriving: the theme at church today was how we can thrive, not just survive. I am going to focus on this message this week.
What is Pie and Prejudice, you ask? Well, it's like a drinking game, except with pie!
Pi and Prejudice: Next week (3/14) is Pi Day. Last year my daughters and I participated in Pi and Prejudice, which is essentially a drinking/eating game, and had so much fun. The only problem this year 3/14 is a Monday and we all work, So we will pretend we live in Australia and celebrate early (on Sunday for us.) Here are the rules. Host your own Pi and Prejudice party. Last year we only ate sweet pies---Banoffee pie (don't ask, it was awful) and a berry pie. We all felt a bit sick by the end of the movie. This year we are going to eat Shepherd's pie, pizza pie, a pot pie, or a quiche pie in addition to a fruit pie. And sparkling apple juice should work in lieu of champagne. If you live in the Puyallup area and want to join us, give me a call. We'll scoot over and make room for you.

I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks for reading this.

11 comments:

  1. Pie and Prejudice - how did I miss this marvelous annual tradition?!
    While 3.14 does fall on a Monday, it is the first day of our spring break.... so guess what I will be doing?!

    Thanks for introducing me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I hope you have some friends or family who will join you. Have fun.

      Delete
  2. Spring is already there? Wow seems early this year. It's warm here too in western Canada. The Susan Cain book and the Marian Anderson book seem like great reads. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were in Vancouver two weeks ago and there were signs of spring everywhere.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Pretty view. We're still at the crocuses stage of spring. Have fun with Pi and Prejudice -- great idea to get some savory pies into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie and prejudice, what a great idea! Hope that the signs of spring help you work your way out of your melancholy mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see that scene out my window! P & P day sounds fun. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely view from your window! I feel the magic of Spring just from looking at it.

    Thanks for sharing your week...and for visiting my blog. Pi and Prejudice sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a view! I wouldn't mind looking at that while reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I am always amazed at this time of year how far ahead spring is in your neck of the woods! Gorgeous blooms in your photo - nothing here yet except snowdrops.

    Looks like you are reading all nonfiction right now. Sorry you have been feeling melancholy but hope the poetry and Austen help.

    Sounds like a unique & fun way to celebrate Pi Day - enjoy!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring is here too and yet I also feel melancholy. Some things happening at work recently have contributed to that feeling, but spring always seems like that to me, so much promise but yet so much I didn't do during the winter and then the realization that winter will come again, how to keep the motivation up through those long months.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.