"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, June 6, 2016

Classic Club Spin #13

It's that time again for the Classics Club Spin.

What is the spin?
It’s easy. By next Monday, June 6, list your choice of any twenty Classic books you'd like to read.
This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books in June & July.  So, try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
Next Monday, Classic Club will report, and I will report here, a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by August 1, 2016

UPDATE:  The Spin has happened.  Scroll down to see the number.
Here is my list:


Title
Author
1
Little Women
Alcott, Louisa May
2
Bastard Out of Carolina
Allison, Dorothy
3
Agnes Grey
Bronte, Anne
4
Kindred
Butler, Octavia
5
Death Comes for the Archbishop
Cather, Willa
6
And Then There Were None
Christie, Agatha
7
Out of Africa
Dinesen, Isak
8
Jamaica Inn
DuMaurier, Daphne
9
Middlemarch
Eliot, George
10
Cranford
Gaskill, Elizabeth
11
Interpreter of Maladies
Lahiri, Jhumpa
12
West With the Night
Markham, Beryl
13
Anne of Avonlea
Montgomery, L.M.
14
Suite Francais
Nimerovsky, Irene
15
A Good Man is Hard to Find and other...
O’Connor, Flannery
16
Gilead
Robinson, Marianne
17
Wild Sargasso Sea
Rhys, Jean
18
Mrs. Dalloway
Woolf, Virginia
19
To the Lighthouse
Woolf, Virginia
20
Bread Givers
Yezierksa, Anzia


As per usual there are books on the list I really hope I get because of a recent interest and those I dread getting, usually related to length. We'll see how it turns out soon. For this spin I am combining this challenge with Read Classic Women Authors Challenge so you will notice that all the authors I've listed are female.

You can join me.  Make a list of 20 classic books you would like to read or reread. Number them 1-20. Wait for the spin. On Monday, June 6th the spin number will be announced.  Check that number against your list. That is the book you will read. Due date (can you tell I'm a librarian?) is August 1st.
Make a comment below if you will be joining me and I will try to support you and your reading goal. Or feel free to hop over to the Classics Club Page and sign up officially with them. Welcome.

Update, Monday, June 6th...The spin number is 15.
I will be reading my very first Flannery O'Connor, A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories. Oddly, on Friday, as I was shelving other library books I pulled this O'Connor book out and set it on my desk in the back office. I must have had a premonition. The book contains ten short stories. I don't anticipate I will even crack it until after the end of the school year in late June. I also hope to read West With the Night by Beryl Markham just because I am obsessed with this author right now.

Read my reviews:
A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories
West With the Night

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! This is a great idea, I used to read a classic every ten or twenty books. Since I hit one that I couldn't get through, (Dante's Inferno), I haven't picked up a classic since. I really need to try to pick some up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Classics Club has completely motivated me to read at least four or five classics a year and I have a lot of reading to catch up on since I didn't read much in high school and none in college. It try to select books I can handle on my own, without the help of an English professor to understand. I'm sure Dante's Inferno would sink me, too.

      Delete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.