"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Monday, October 10, 2016

TTT: Books I read because of a recommendation

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I read at someone's recommendation

This is an odd list for me because I am often the person giving book recommendations and reading reviews. Many of the recommendations that come from someone else are book club selections based on another club member's research. I also pay attention to books my blogging friends are reading. Often my favorite books are ones someone else has loved.

1. Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse, recommended by several bloggers. I finished the audiobook version in September 2016.

2. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald, recommended by a book club member. I listened to this audiobook with my family in August 2016.

3. The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen, recommended by a book club member. I read it in July this year.

4. Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson, recommended by several bloggers. This is one of the most influential books I've listened to this year. (June)

5. My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout, recommended by several gals in book club. I read this book in May.

6. Jackaby by William Ritter. A student recommended this book. She was wildly crazy for it. I read it in April and then met the author.

7. Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke, recommended by a colleague, an English teacher friend. She is a big fan of Rilke's poetry. Read in March.

8. The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner, recommended by several bloggers. Now we are doing it for book club this month.

9. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain, recommended by my daughter, an introvert. I read it in March and then I recommended my Principal read it, too.

10. Enormous Smallness: A Story of E.E. Cummings by Matthew Burgess, a saw this book on the blog of an elementary librarian and just had to read it.


6 comments:

  1. Several patrons at my library have recommended The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend - still have yet to get to it...

    That's so cool that you had the chance to meet William Ritter! Have you read the Jackaby sequels yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved some books people have recommended and hated others. Our tastes are all different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to read Girl in the Blue Coat as it keeps popping up wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I haven;t read ANY of these yet! I love book groups for this reason - sometimes you don;t even want to read the selection but then you end up loving it!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.