"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Anne's Picks for the Youth Media Awards


Tomorrow the real YMAs will be announced. Here are the YA books I hope will win:

1. Michael L. Printz Award (Best YA literature of the year) 
  • The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry
2. Schneider Family Book Award (Teen living with a disability)
  • The Memory Book by Lara Avery
3. Alex Awards -10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences (Pick one of ten)     
  • ?
    4. Margaret A. Edwards Award (Read one book by the winning author who has made a significant contribution to YA or Children's Lit)
    • Name of author _____?_______________ (Choose one of his/her books)
    • Title: 
    5. Stonewall Children's and Young Adult Literature (LGBT) 
    • We Are the Ants by Shaun Hutchinson
    6. William C. Morris Award (First YA novel by author)
    • The Serpent King by Jeff Zenter
    7. YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults 
    • March, Book Three by John Lewis, Andrew Aidyn, illustrated by Nate Powell
      8. Coretta Scott King Author Award (African American Author) 
      • The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
      9. Pura Belpre (Latino Author) 
      • Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina
      10Odyssey Award (Audio Book)
      • The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater, read by Will Patton

      5 comments:

      1. I really hope Serpent King wins the Morris Award. I can't wait for the awards ceremony! It's one of my favorite times of the year.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I am not sure why we didn't include The Serpent king on our Mock Printz list. It is so good. I admit, though, it is a hard sell during book talks. Kids, like most people, don't like snakes. At least I think that is it.

          Delete
      2. I am so excited for this announcement! Then let the YA award-winner reading begin. What about Neal Shusterman or Walter Dean Myers for the author?

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Concerning the Margaret Edwards Award the author that is selected usually has a long history of writing and often the author is what I would consider a middle grades writer. i should investigate further to see who has won it in the past. David Levithan was last year.

          Concerning the Alex Award, I don't often read adult books the year they are published. I have to trust folks who do that to make good selections. I usually try to purchase a few books from that list for my older readers.

          Delete
      3. I haven't had the opportunity to read any of these except The Raven King which I hope wins something! :)

        ReplyDelete

      I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.